Thursday, December 23, 2010

WE SURVIVED A FAMILY ROAD TRIP....

My family and I just went on our first road trip this weekend.  Now for those of you that don’t know me I have 3 boys, 11, 3 and 16 months so you can imagine my fear with the idea of driving 7 hours with a 3 year old who thinks he's a super hero, a 16 month old who’s favorite sound to make is a cross between a loud screeching elephant and a 10 year old girl on a roller coaster and a 11 year old who finds it extremely amusing to fart, complain and do what ever he can to torment his 3 year old brother.
We decided to make the drive and even with all my fears the trip went surprisingly well. My wife and I didn’t kill each other, I only want to bash my head in once or twice, the kids had a great time and we were able to to spend some quality family time with my in-laws, sister’s and relatives. 

Now, the drive is what I feared the most but our drive actually didn’t go that bad with the exception of; the baby crying for 5 hours there and back, the super hero making a super doo-doo in his underoos and me getting peed on by my 11 year old who was trying to relieve himself in a arrowhead bottle, from the 3rd row back seat. 
Yes, that is pee on my shirt.


Now this may sound a little rough but it really wasn't that bad and once we got back home and had a chance to reflect on the trip it was very clear that these are those crazy, fun memories you will cherish and talk about forever.

So when you are considering taking a family road trip, don’t be scared away or intimidated by the horror stories and negative possibilities, the trip is what YOU make of it and it is truly an amazing experience for the parents and the kids have a great time.

I promise you that one day you will be sitting around talking about all the fun things you did and you will look back and say; “wow I can’t believe we were stupid enough to make that trip, but I am so glad that we did it”

No comments:

Post a Comment